for more information please contact:

Melanie Leaf
Deputy Registrar


As a P.Tech., here are the resources you require to succeed.

Permit to Practice

Partnerships, corporations, and other legal entities must apply for a permit to practice engineering or geoscience in Alberta through either the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA) or the Association of Science and Engineering Technology Professionals of Alberta (ASET). 

An organization cannot legally practice engineering or geoscience without a permit to practice and a professional engineer, professional licensee, or professional technologist listed as a responsible member under the permit.

Application Fee: $550
Annual Permit to Practice Dues: $475
Reinstatement Fee: $150


  • The ASET Council is responsible for approving the registration of ASET permit holders. Eligible applicants include: a partnership or other association of persons; a corporation incorporated or registered under the Companies Act; or a corporation continued, incorporated, or registered under the Business Corporations Act.
  • Applicants must complete a signed application form and submit along with the application fee to the ASET Registrar.
  • As part of the application process, the applicant must identify the corporate management of the organization and the responsible members who will be working under the permit.
  • The professional technologist(s) who assume responsibility for the practice of the permit holder must be qualified by training and experience in the field(s) of engineering or geoscience in which the organization provides services.
  • Once issued a permit to practice, an ASET permit holder must affix its permit number on documents and records in accordance with the Professional Technologist Regulation.
  • Permit holders must pay annual dues in full each year to maintain their permit to practice.
  • Permit stamps are issued following approval of the permit to practice application. The permit stamp must be under the control of the professional technologist(s) assuming responsibility of the professional practice in which the permit holder is engaged.

Application Process and Required Documents

  1. Complete and Submit the Permit to Practice Application Form
  2. Complete and Submit a Project Management Plan

Resources and Forms

Frequently Asked Questions

Q:Can a professional technologist work under an APEGA permit to practice?

Show Answer

Q:Can a professional technologist stamp work under an APEGA permit to practice?

Show Answer

Q:When would an organization require an ASET permit to practice?

Show Answer

Q:Can a professional technologist be listed as a responsible member under an APEGA permit to practice?

Show Answer

Q:What are the consequences of practicing engineering or geoscience in Alberta without a permit to practice?

Show Answer

Q:Are subsidiary organizations required to hold a permit to practice?

Show Answer

Permit to Practice Online Seminar

Exclusive to Members
Only ASET Members can have access to Permit to Practice Online Seminar
Please Sign in for more details

Stamping Guidelines

Professional Technologists (P.Tech.) may engage in the practice of engineering or geoscience within a defined scope of practice and thereby take responsibility for plans, drawings, detail drawings, specifications, and other documents or reproductions by affixing their personal stamp.

In response to member and industry demand, ASET has partnered with Notarius to be the sole provider of digital stamps and signatures for ASET members. Effective January 1, 2017, ASET members wishing to use a digital stamp or signature must sign up with Notarius