for more information please contact:

Alexa Warkentin
Professional Practice Coordinator

780.425.0626 (Ext. 508)


Professional Technologist (P.Tech.) member has the right to practice engineering or geoscience independently in accordance with established methodologies and specifications including existing codes and regulations. With this right, a member is able to sign off and stamp their own work, or work completed under the professional technologist's supervision and control and within the professional technologist’s approved scope of practice.

This credential should be of particular interest to members who are working as consultants or running their own business. In addition, senior members within larger organizations may also be interested in exploring the P.Tech.(Eng.) or P.Tech.(Geo.) as an option to further their right to practice and expand career options.


  • C.E.T. member in good standing with ASET
  • Minimum of six years of post-graduate work experience in areas that relate to engineering or geoscience that is acceptable to the ASET/APEGA Joint Board of Examiners, including at least two years which are in the applicant’s proposed area and scope of practice and were completed under the supervision and control of a P.Eng. or P.Geo. member of APEGA 
    • Supervision is not restricted to your immediate supervisor; rather, a P.Eng. or P.Geo. must have taken responsibility for your work for at least a two year period.
  • Minimum of two years of post-secondary education acceptable to the ASET/APEGA Joint Board of Examiners in areas that relate to engineering or geoscience 
    • Applicants must be graduates of a two-year technologist diploma or the equivalent. Equivalency may be demonstrated by successful completion of ASET's technologist certification exam at the discretion of the Joint Board of Examiners. Applicants who have not completed the certification exam as part of their application for C.E.T. may not be registered for the exam unless assigned by the Joint Board of Examiners.
    • The applicant’s academics must match the proposed scope of practice or the applicant must have at least ten years of experience in the discipline in which they are seeking registration as a professional technologist.
    • If evidence of two-years of post-secondary education is not on file with ASET, the applicant will be asked to supply official transcripts. 
  • Compliance with ASET Continuing Professional Development Program (if an applicant is not in compliance at the time of application, the applicant will be asked to supply evidence of compliance)
  • Proficiency in the English language that is sufficient to enable the applicant to responsibly practice the profession of engineering or geoscience within the scope of practice prescribed by the ASET/APEGA Joint Board of Examiners
  • Completion of the National Professional Practice Exam to demonstrate knowledge of the Engineering and Geoscience Professions Act and related Regulations and general knowledge related to the practice of engineering or geoscience
  • Demonstration of good character and reputation (good character and reputation are confirmed by the applicant’s references, declared by the applicant as part of the application form, and demonstrated through the applicant’s conduct)
  • Review and approval by the ASET/APEGA Joint Board of Examiners
Application Fee: $375
National Professional Practice Exam Fee (includes GST): $241.50

Annual Membership Dues (includes GST): $380

Application Process

  1. Print and submit a completed P.Tech. Application
  2. Complete and submit the P.Tech. Experience Spreadsheet
    • The work experience spreadsheet must include a proposed scope of practice drafted by the applicant. The P.Tech. Scope of Practice Examples in the Forms and Resources section may be of assistance in completing the work experience spreadsheet.
    • Three references must validate the information provided in the applicant’s work experience spreadsheet and sign a declaration form. The spreadsheet and reference declaration are forwarded to referees directly by ASET staff. 
    • At least one reference must be a P.Eng. or P.Geo. It is recommended that all references be regulated members of ASET or APEGA (i.e., C.E.T., R.E.T., P.Tech., P.L.(Eng.), P.Eng., or P.Geo.).
    • In accordance with privacy law, completed reference forms may be provided to applicants upon request.
    • Applicants may require more than the minimum three references to validate their work experience. Additional references may be requested at the discretion of the Joint Board of Examiners.
  3. Provide proof of compliance with the ASET CPD Program at the time of application.
    • Applicants who have logged their CPD activities with ASET will be automatically reviewed for compliance.
    • Applicants who have not logged their CPD activities with ASET will be asked to provide evidence of compliance with the ASET CPD Program.
  4. Apply for, and successfully complete, the National Professional Practice Exam, if not already completed as part of the C.E.T. application process. Please download and complete the required NPPE Registration Form for your application.

​Please be advised that application and exam fees are non-refundable.

Reinstatement of Membership


For more information about reinstatement, please refer to Registration Policies.

National Professional Practice Exam


Please download and complete the ASET NPPE Exam Application Form for more information about the exam.

National Professional Practice Exam Schedule

Exam Locations: Edmonton or Calgary
Exam Window (AM or PM) Registration Deadline

April 3, 2017
April 4, 2017
April 5, 2017
February 17, 2017

June 5, 2017
June 6, 2017
June 7, 2017
April 28, 2017

September 20, 2017
September 21, 2017
September 22, 2017
July 28, 2017

November 28, 2017
November 29, 2017
November 30, 2017
October 20, 2017

Policy on Exam Rescheduling/Rewrites: 

Please be advised that if you wish to reschedule your exam date at any time, after the Registration Deadline, you will be charged the full exam fee of $230 + GST. Please email to reschedule your exam. 

If you are required to rewrite the exam, you will be charged the full exam fee of $230 + GST.



The NPPE exam is written in exam windows. The exam will be written one of these 3 days, either in the morning or the afternoon. Your preference will be forwarded to APEGA and Yardstick, who administer the examination. You will be booked into one of the six exams in this window based on your preference and availability, but ultimately the final decision on date/time is made by Yardstick. You will be provided with details of the exact date, time and testing location by Yardstick approximately 4 weeks prior to the exam window.

If you do not receive the email from Yardstick, please contact ASET does not have the exam details and cannot provide them to you.


NPPE Candidate Guide

National Professional Practice Exam Syllabus **Please note - ASET Members must contact the ASET office to Register for the NPPE**

NPPE Study Materials Information Sheet

Practical Law of Architecture, Engineering and Geoscience Third Canadian Edition by Samuels & Sanders (2011 Copyright)

  • Please note: Second Canadian Edition can still be used to prepare, but is no longer printed by the publisher.

Canadian Professional Engineering and Geoscience: Practice and Ethics Fifth Edition by Gordon C. Andrews (2009 Copyright)

For textbook discounts and additional resources, please click HERE.

* APEGA is transitioning the NPPE to an online format.  For more information, please click here.  Note: ASET applicants must register for the NPPE through ASET.  However, ASET applicants will be able to take advantage of the new online test format and centers offered by APEGA.
Click here to purchase a new practice test to assist with preparing to write the NPPE.

Forms and Additional Resources


Application Forms

P.Tech. Application Form

P.Tech Experience Spreadsheet

Defining Engineering and Geoscience

The EGP Act defines the practice of engineering as:

  • reporting on, advising on, evaluating, designing, preparing plans and specifications for or directing the construction , technical inspection, maintenance, or operation of any    structure, work or process 
    • that is aimed at the discovery, development or utilization of matter, materials or energy or in any other way designed for the use and convenience of humans, and
    • that requires in that reporting, advising, evaluating, designing, preparation or direction the professional application of the principals of mathematics, chemistry, physics or any related applied science, or
  • teaching engineering at university

The EGP Act defines the practice of geoscience as:

  • reporting, advising, evaluating, interpreting, processing, geoscientific surveying, exploring, classifying reserves or examining related to any activity 
    • that relates to earth sciences or the environment
    • that is aimed at the discovery or development of oil, natural gas, coal, metallic or non-metallic minerals, precious stones, other natural resources or water that is aimed at the investigation of surface or subsurface conditions of the earth, and
    • that requires, in that reporting, advertising, evaluating, interpreting, processing, geoscientific surveying, exploring, classifying reserves or examining, the professional application of the principals of mathematics, chemistry, physics or biology through the application of the principals of geoscience, or
  • teaching geoscience at university

Permit to Practice

An ASET Permit to Practice is issued to those partnerships, corporations, and other legal entities employing professional technologists: P.Tech.(Eng.) or P.Tech.(Geo.). The permit is issued in the organization’s name within the scope of practice of those professional technologists who are responsible for the practice of the ASET permit holder.

Visit the Permit to Practice Overview page for further details.