Professional Technologist - Engineering
Members who earn this designation have the right to practice engineering independently in accordance with established methodologies and specifications including existing codes and regulations. With this right, a member is able to sign off and stamp their own work.
This credential should be of particular interest to members who are working as consultants or running their own business. In addition, senior members within larger organizations may also be interested in exploring the P.Tech.(Eng.) as an option to further their right to practice and expand career options.
P.Tech.(Eng.) and P.Tech.(Geo.) applicants must complete two forms:
- P.Tech. Application
- P.Tech. Experience Spreadsheet
The following reference materials may be helpful:
- P.Tech. Scope of Practice Examples
Notes for P.Tech. Applicants
- The application process is subject to approval by the Joint Board of Examiners (JBE) and elements of the application, or the process, may change in the future. The licensing process includes a peer review of your work experience where other professional association members attest to your work experiences as being at the professional level.
- You may use the same reference names for your application as you did for your R.E.T. or R.P.T.(Eng.) application, but ASET will not use those earlier reference letters. New reference letters are drafted to be used for the P.Tech. license.
- You might need more than three references to cover your work experience. References might not attest to the total period of time that you were in a job.
- Your resume may be too brief for your P.Tech. application. Bullets need to be expanded and more detailed explanations of your engineering team work experience included for the JBE evaluation.
- For the applicable standards, you can submit a listing of the codes and standards that you use the most, or have the greatest impact on your work. It might be a good idea to accumulate a comprehensive listing of codes and standards in case there are further questions about standards.
- The application fee is $225.00, and the annual membership fee for P.Tech. is $325.00.