Members who earn this designation have the right to practice engineering or geoscience independently in accordance with established methodologies and specifications including existing codes and regulations. With this right, a member is able to sign off and stamp their own work.
This credential should be of particular interest to members who are working as consultants or running their own business. In addition, senior members within larger organizations may also be interested in exploring the P.Tech.(Eng.) or P.Tech.(Geo.) as an option to further their right to practice and expand career options.
- C.E.T. member in good standing with ASET
- Six (6) years of related work experience, including at least two (2) years under the supervision and control of a P.Eng. or P.Geo.
- Supervision is not restricted to your immediate supervisor; rather, a P.Eng. or P.Geo. must have taken responsibility for your work for at least a two (2) year period.
- Two (2) years of post-secondary education in areas that relate to engineering or geoscience
- The applicant’s academics must match the proposed scope of practice or the applicant must have at least ten (10) years of experience in the discipline in which they are seeking registration as a professional technologist.
- If evidence of two-years of post-secondary education is not on file with ASET, the applicant will be asked to supply official transcripts.
- Compliance with ASET Continuing Professional Development Program.
- Completion of the National Professional Practice Exam.
- Review and approval by the ASET/APEGA Joint Board of Examiners.
All Applicants MUST
- Print and submit a completed P.Tech. Application with the appropriate fee
- Complete and submit the P.Tech. Experience Spreadsheet
- The work experience spreadsheet must include a proposed scope of practice drafted by the applicant. The following P.Tech. Scope of Practice Examples may be of assistance in completing the work experience spreadsheet.
- Three references must validate the information provided in the applicant’s work experience spreadsheet and sign a declaration form. The spreadsheet and reference declaration are forwarded to referees directly by ASET staff.
- At least one reference must be a P.Eng. or P.Geo. It is recommended that all references be regulated members of ASET or APEGA (i.e., C.E.T., R.E.T., P.Tech., P.L.(Eng.), P.Eng., or P.Geo.).
- In accordance with privacy law, completed reference forms may be provided to applicants upon request.
- Applicants may require more than the minimum three references to validate their work experience. Additional references may be requested at the discretion of the Joint Board of Examiners.
- Provide proof of compliance with the ASET CPD Program at the time of application.
- Applicants who have logged their CPD activities with ASET will be automatically reviewed for compliance.
- Applicants who have not logged their CPD activities with ASET will be asked to provide evidence of compliance with the ASET CPD Program.
- Apply for, and successfully complete, the National Professional Practice Exam, if not already completed as part of the C.E.T. application process.