Working Across Canada

P.Tech. Mobility

With the new Canadian Free Trade Agreement (CFTA) coming into effect on July 1, 2017, we wanted to provide you with a handy guide on the mobility of ASET's P.Tech. designation to other Canadian jurisdictions.

P.Tech members can transfer to APEGS using the Interprovincial Labour Mobility Transfer form. P.Techs who transfer to APEGS will be granted a Limited License within their scope of practice.

*If you hold an existing Limited License from APEGA or another of the above Engineering or Geoscience Associations, you can transfer that Limited License to a different province without having to reapply for a new license. You CANNOT your P.Tech; it must be a limited license as the P.Tech is not recognized outside of Alberta.

**The only way to get a limited license in Nova Scotia is to transfer a limited license from another province. They do not offer an independent certification option for anyone without an engineering degree.

There is no option to get a limited license in Prince Edward Island, Quebec, New Brunswick, or the Northwest Territories and Nunavut. You need to have an engineering degree and apply for a professional designation with the Engineering Association (Engineers Prince Edward Island, OIQ, APEGNB, or NAPEG) in order to practice engineering in these provinces/territories.