for more information please contact:

Samantha Wong
Admission & Examinations Coordinator


Transferring from other Provinces

As other provincial associations in Canada grant similar designations to Alberta, it is important to note that a designation only has effect within the province in which it was issued. Since designations from various associations currently represent different scopes of practice, individuals who possess designations from another province must apply for a designation transfer.

Please note, to learn more about the transferability of the P.Tech. designation throughout Canada, please click here.

How to Apply

  1. Applicants transferring from another Canadian province must complete an Interprovincial Transfer Form and Exam Payment Form, and pay the current transfer fee ($50 + GST) and exam fee ($240 + GST).
  2. Only regulated membership categories are transferrable between provinces. Applicants will be awarded the corresponding title in use in Alberta.
  3. Transfer applicants must be members in good standing in their province of origin before a transfer of membership will be accepted. 
  4. Transfer applicants must successfully complete the ASET Professional Practice Exam (PPE) as a condition of transfer regardless of whether the member has completed a PPE in another province.* Transfer applicants who have completed the National Professional Practice Exam (NPPE) in Alberta are exempt from this requirement (ASET will confirm with APEGA that the applicant has passed the NPPE).  

*This policy is designed to ensure transfer applicants have an understanding of legislation and regulations in Alberta, including their obligations under the Engineering and Geoscience Professions Act. Section 705 3(f) under Chapter 7 of the Canadian Free Trade Agreement (CFTA) permits provincial regulators to ensure certified professionals transferring in from another province or territory have knowledge of the measures maintained by the receiving province applicable to the practice of the occupation in that province. ASET requires certified members transferring to Alberta to complete the ASET PPE in order to demonstrate this knowledge.   

Internationally-Trained Professionals

Internationally-trained professionals follow the same application process as all other applicants. To be certified by ASET, all applicants must meet a minimum national benchmark for education, experience, and professionalism. Visit the Designation Requirements page for further details, including any required additional documents.

English Language Proficiency

Applicants are required to demonstrate proficiency in the English language that is sufficient to enable the applicant to responsibly practice the profession. Applicants may satisfy this requirement by providing the results of the following tests for English language competency:

The following minimum test scores will be accepted by ASET for the purposes of evaluating English language proficiency:

Test Minimum Score Description

C.Tech. - 5

C.E.T. - 6

IELTS: International English Language Testing System

IELTS has two options for the reading and writing tests. Applicants must take the “General Training” test.


C.Tech. - 5

C.E.T. - 7

CELPIP: Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program

CELPIP has two different tests. Applicants must take the “CELPIP-General” test.


Applicants who are unable to provide test results may request special consideration by the Board of Examiners. Please contact for more information.

Applicants who are graduates of an academic program delivered in English are exempt from this requirement.

Available Resources and Links

Government of Canada: Citizenship and Immigration Canada 
Find out how you can immigrate to Canada, how to protect yourself from fraud and what to expect after you arrive in Canada.

Government of Alberta: International Qualifications Assessment Service
Assesses international educational credentials and compares them to the educational credentials in Canada.

Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP)
Helps foreign workers and their families make Alberta their permanent home.

Windmill Microlending
Provides micro loans to immigrants who need help to pay for the costs associated with obtaining accreditation or training that will allow them to work in their occupation. Windmill Microlending micro loans help skilled immigrants move out of low-level/low-income jobs and make their best possible contributions to Canada's economy.

Calgary Catholic Immigration Society
CCIS is a nonprofit volunteer organization which provides settlement and integration services to all immigrants and refugees in Southern Alberta.

Directions for Immigrants in Trades and Professional Careers
Directions for Immigrants is a no cost career service centre that helps internationally educated professionals secure professional employment and gain accreditation. We work with professionals in any occupation in any industry.

Edmonton Mennonite Centre for Newcomers 
EMCN is an immigrant settlement agency whose focus is the successful and integrative settlement of newcomers to Edmonton.

Edmonton Region Immigrant Employment Council
An industry-led, not-for-profit organization dedicated to ensuring immigrants are welcomed to participate in the economy to their full potential.