Transfer to Alberta

Transferring to Alberta

Did you mean to transfer out of Alberta? Click here to be directed to the correct webpage.


As other provincial associations in Canada grant similar designations to Alberta, it is important to note that a designation only has effect within the province in which it was issued. Since designations from various associations currently represent different scopes of practice, individuals who possess designations from another province must apply for a designation transfer.

Note: The P.Tech. designation offered in British Columbia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, and Quebec are not equivalent to the P.Tech.(Eng.)/(Geo.) designation offered in Alberta. P.Tech. designations offered in these provinces are equivalent to C.E.T. in Alberta.

Fees Amount
Transfer Fee $105*
Professional Practice Exam $252*

*Please be advised that application fees, exam fees, and annual membership dues are non-refundable.

Application Process

How to Apply

  1. Applicants transferring from another Canadian province must complete and submit an Interprovincial Transfer Form and Exam Payment Form, and pay the current transfer fee ($100 + GST) and exam fee ($240 + GST).
  2. Transfer applicants must successfully complete the ASET Professional Practice Exam (PPE) as a condition of transfer regardless of whether the member has completed a PPE in another province.* Transfer applicants who have completed the National Professional Practice Exam (NPPE) in Alberta are exempt from this requirement (ASET will confirm with APEGA that the applicant has passed the NPPE).  
  3. Once approved, new members will receive information on mandatory Continuing Professional Development (CPD) requirements.
Transfer applicants must be:
  1. A regulated member. Only regulated membership categories are transferrable between provinces. Applicants will be awarded the corresponding title in use in Alberta.
  2. Members in good standing in their province of origin before a transfer of membership will be accepted.

*This policy is designed to ensure transfer applicants understand legislation and regulations in Alberta, including their obligations under the Engineering and Geoscience Professions Act. Section 705 3(f) under Chapter 7 of the Canadian Free Trade Agreement (CFTA) permits provincial regulators to ensure certified professionals transferring in from another province or territory have knowledge of the measures maintained by the receiving province applicable to the practice of the occupation in that province. ASET requires certified members transferring to Alberta to complete the ASET PPE to demonstrate this knowledge.   

Application and Exam Resources

ASET Professional Practice Examination (Ethics) 

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What do I need to provide in order to transfer from ASET to another provincial association?

Show Answer

Q: Is the PPE mandatory for my transfer?

Show Answer

Q: I want to transfer my membership to another province. What do I need?

Show Answer

Q: How long do I have to complete my membership transfer?

Show Answer

Subscribe to our Newsletter