Code of Ethics
The ASET Code of Ethics gives general statements of the principles of ethical conduct in order that the members of ASET may fulfill their duty to the public, the profession and fellow ASET Members. All members of ASET agree to and are bound by this Code of Ethics.
Members of ASET shall:
- Hold paramount the safety, health and welfare of the public, the protection of the environment and the promotion of health and safety within the workplace;
- Undertake and accept responsibility for professional assignments only when qualified by training and experience;
- Provide an opinion on a professional subject only when it is founded upon adequate knowledge and honest conviction;
- Act with integrity towards clients or employers, maintain confidentiality and avoid a conflict of interest but, where such conflict arises, fully disclose the circumstances without delay to the employer or client;
- Uphold the principle of appropriate compensation for the performance of their work;
- Keep informed to maintain proficiency and competence, to advance the body of knowledge within their discipline and further opportunities for the professional development of their associates;
- Conduct themselves with fairness, honesty, courtesy and good faith towards clients, colleagues and others, give credit where it is due and accept, as well as give, honest and fair professional comment;
- Present clearly to employers and clients the possible consequences if professional decisions or judgments are overruled or disregarded;
- Report to the appropriate agencies any hazardous, illegal or unethical professional decisions or practices by other members or others; and
- Promote public knowledge and appreciation of applied science, information and engineering technology and protect the Association from misrepresentation and misunderstanding.
The above Preamble to the ASET Code of Ethics shall be construed as a general guide, and not as a denial of the existence of other duties equally imperative and other rights though not specifically mentioned. The members are bound by its provision just as they are bound by the controls of Council and the by-laws of the Association.
Member's Statement of Commitment
By virtue of my education, training and experience, and recognized by The Association of Science and Engineering Technology Professionals of Alberta, I do hereby undertake the responsibilities.
Exercise due regard for the safety and well-being of the public, and for the natural and physical environments affected by my work.
Exercise my best judgement to limit work to those matters of which I have adequate knowledge and experience.
Ensure that my knowledge of the field in which I work is current and complete to the best of my ability.
In all things, conduct myself responsibly and ethically.
Adhere to the ASET Code of Ethics, and represent the profession honourably.