Certified Technician (C.Tech.) and Certified Engineering Technologist (C.E.T.) membership helps to enhance your credibility, network, and professional recognition.
- A C.Tech. is an applied science, information, or engineering technology professional who performs routine technical procedures with occasional direct supervision and who may assume limited responsibility for any decision-making process.
- A C.E.T. is an applied science, information, or engineering technology professional who is capable of assuming responsibility and exercising independent judgment to perform technical tasks and solve problems in complex technological areas with limited direct supervision.
To qualify for C.Tech. or C.E.T. membership applicants must:
- Be graduates of a technical certificate or diploma program,
- Have at least two years of technical work experience, and
- Work or be seeking work in Alberta or the Northwest Territories
Note: If your education is TAC-accredited, you are not required to complete the ASET Certification Exam for C.E.T.
If working or seeking work outside of Alberta or the Northwest Territories, applicants should contact their provincial technology association to inquire about membership options.
If you are not a program graduate, please refer to our Non-Graduate page for application information.
Fees and Dues
|ASET Professional Practice Exam Fee
|Certification Exam Fee (if applicable)
|Annual Membership Dues
*Please be advised that application and exam fees are non-refundable.
For more information about reclassification from C.Tech. to C.E.T., please refer to the Reclassification page.
For more information about reinstatement of C.Tech. membership, please refer to the Reinstatement page.
One of the key application documents required for certification is the Competency Summary, a point-form description of an applicant’s work experience in relation to six key competencies. Reviewing the summary for your discipline of practice will assist in determining your level of experience and qualifications.
Instructions for completing the report are included within the document and a sample summary is available for review.